Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Treadmill

I actually love the BFL treadmill program. I've really been pushing myself on it. The reason I haven't done it the last couple times is that I started getting this weird side pain that radiates up into my shoulder partway into my run, so I have to slow my pace down. To make up for it, I decided to run a longer distance.

Anyway, what I do is print off the excel spreadsheet for the cardio routine and I write in the mph I'm planning to run for each minute of the workout.

For instance, here is the breakdown of the last time I ran:

1 - 4.4
2 - 4.4
3 - 4.8
4 - 5.2
5 - 5.6
6 - 6.0

7 - 5.0
8 - 5.4
9 - 5.8
10 - 6.2

11 - 5.0
12 - 5.5
13 - 6.0
14 - 6.5

15 - 5.3
16 - 5.8
17 - 6.3
18 - 7
19 - 7.6
20 - 4.0


Then every time I run, I look at the speeds on my last sheet and bump up a couple of them to try and push myself to the next level. I heard someone say once that you try to make yesterday's "10" be today's "9".

Basically, it's the feel-like-you're-going-to-die workout where you cough and sputter and wheeze for five minutes after you're done and it takes an hour before your face isn't flaming red anymore. :P

Anyway, I don't know if that helps or not, but it's the way I do it at least. :)

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ok, that does totally make sense. Every time I've done the run, I feel like I could be singing the national anthem while doing it it's just been too easy. Obviously I'm not pushing myself enough. I am going to push tomorrow - in fact, I might just copy your exact times, they look like that is where I should be at.

carrie said...

I'm going to copy this, too!! ....if you don't mind!! ;o)