Monday, August 11, 2008

My First 10 Minute Mile

I ran a 10 minute mile today.

One thing that's great about running on the treadmill is that you can actually dial in the speed you want to run at and hit a goal if you can just keep up with the treadmill.

I made a plan to run a 10 minute mile this morning, so I worked it out on paper what speeds I'd have to run to make it. Since 6 mph is the average speed you have to run at to run a mile in 10 minutes, I knew I had to run as much over 6 mph as I did under. So here was my program:

(The first number is the minute and the second number is the mph I ran during that minute of the run)

1--5
2--5.5
3--6
4--6.5
5--7
6--5
7--5.5
8--6
9--6.5
10--7

I'm not very good at pacing myself when I run outside, and this way, I can push myself to run harder and get in better shape faster. I do need to run outside more, though, if I want to compete in races, because I'm going to have to learn to pace myself and push myself harder when I run outside.

No comments: