Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle

I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike.
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like!

I wanted to post a YouTube video of the Queen song "Bicycle Race" to go along with this post, but I am totally shocked at what I found out there. I haven't heard this song in a long time, and I was a naive kid when I did hear it, but there is some really offensive stuff in there. And then the actual Queen music video has scores of naked women riding bicycles in it. Yuck! So, now that I've given you a full visual, I might as well have just posted it on here.

Anyway, back to what I was going to say. My knee has been bothering me really bad the last few days. I was hoping it would be better in time to do my run yesterday and my lower body workout today, but it wasn't. So Jaron suggested I dust my bike off and try that for a while.

So, I spent all morning changing the tires out on my bike and doing all this work to it. I was so stinkin' proud of myself for doing all that stuff by myself! But then it came time to ride the dumb thing and it won't go. The brakes are totally out of whack and one side of the rim of each tire is practically glued to the brake pad. So, I have to wait for Jaron to have time to tune it up. Blech. Oh, well, it was too hot to bike this afternoon anyway. I just really wanted to and I was bummed when I couldn't go.

I've been singing that Queen song for the last hour or so. :)

I'll let you all know how biking stacks up to running as far as cardio workouts go. Lindsay, what's your take on it, now that you've trained for and ran a Triathlon? Anyone else have experience with both biking and running who can give some insight or advice?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I think biking is harder than running, but then that is not my exerice of choice, so obviously it's hard. It definately is a work out. My brother-in-law has lost about 90 lbs in the last couple years from taking up biking, combined with eating healthier. I need to get a better bike, road bike (instead of my $40 Wal-Mart mountain bike) and then I will be 100 times more motivated and dedicated to riding.

Jenn said...

That bike ride yesterday totally kicked my butt! In more ways than one. Why do bicycle seats have to be so dang hard? I'm literally bruised from that dumb seat. So I went out and bought a memory foam seat cover to go on it. Hopefully that will help the next time I ride.

I have a relatively nice bike - it's better than the average Wal-Mart bike. But I still felt like a little kid on a tricycle when some serious bikers passed me on the trail.

Anyway, I think I'll keep it in my routine, switching between biking and running for my cardio.