Monday, February 2, 2009

Starting Over Without Starting Over

I'm not going to say that this is my 54th Day 1. So don't worry about that. :) What I am going to say is that you can renew your dedication on Day 57. So, I'm not starting over. I'm just starting anew. :) Semantics? No way. If I'd gained the 15 lbs I've lost back, then I could say I'm starting over. But I'm just moving forward.

I have to admit that in the last few weeks, I've lost some of my steam. I'm cheating here and there most days. And then still eating liberally on my real free days. Yikes. I've even missed some workouts here and there, which I'm usually very faithful about.

Every once in a while, I'll get really dedicated and I'll lose a few pounds, and then I'll start cheating here and there again, and I'll maintain, or gain a pound or two. But so far, it's been a 2-steps-forward, 1-step-back kind of a process.

Part of my justification for being lax is that this is a lifestyle change, and if I feel like if I push too hard during this 12-week challenge, I'll burn out. When I'm at Enrichment Night, I'll think, "Well, this is supposed to be for LIFE, and in real life, I'll be eating dessert at Enrichment Night." And, although that's true on a certain level, I still have a lot to lose, and that's more of a "maintaining" attitude.

If I don't push myself hard enough, I'll never get to my goal. Even if I can't maintain it, I want to get in amazing shape, at least for a little while, just to prove to myself that I can do it, and to see how good I can look, and to see how awesome it feels to be there.

So, today, I'm once again renewing my dedication to my challenge. Right now, I'm on day 57 of an 84-day challenge. So, I officially have just over 3 weeks left to see what I can do in the 12 weeks. After that, I'll just start over with a new Day 1, and move on to a new challenge. Not because I failed this one, but because I want to continue on with my progress.

I'm not going to let myself go into "maintain" mode until I look and feel better than I ever have in my life. Until then, I'm just going to do one challenge after another. Once I get there, I'll let myself say it's okay to maintain, even if I gain a little bit of that weight back. But for now, I need to drive myself to do better.

So, everyone out there, give me some tips on what drives you. What keeps you motivated? What are your keys to success?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I don't know what is motivating me this time - but I absolutely know in my heart (for some reason, don't know why) that I am on my way to losing this weight. I've already lost 10 lbs. I have an end date and what I am DETERMINED to weigh on that day. That is also the day that Daren and I are leaving on a little getaway. I know that has for sure boosted me in wanting this. But I think mostly, I KNOW for a fact that I can lose this weight and weigh close to what I once did and also I am SO SICK of hearing myself say, "I need to lose weight" "I"m fat" It just makes me wonder what other people think when they hear me say that over and over. So this time I'm just shutting up and proving to myself that I can do it! And I WILL! Just you watch, by summer I will be looking good! You can do it too!