Sunday, February 22, 2009

I'm gonna do it! Anyone else in?

I've decided to do the Triathlon. Just to prove to myself that I can do it. I don't know how fast I'll go. I don't know whether I'll come in last, or just third from last. LOL! But I want to finish. That's my goal.

Part of the reason I want to do it is to get some variation in my workouts, and to have some extra push and motivation to work out more and take my training to a new level. I'll be adding some extra cardio beyond the BFL HIIT, and let me tell you, swimming is absolutely a kick-butt workout! I can't believe how much harder it is than running. At least it is now. Maybe once I get into it, it'll get better.

I also have plans to do a 5K in March, and a 10K in June or July. The 5K is mostly just to get back in competition mode, and to see how much faster I can go than I have in the last couple of years. It's also a charity race for cancer research. There are some hills, as it's at BYU campus. I hope I can hold up. The 10K is because I've never run more than 3.1 miles at a stretch, and I want to prove to myself that I can do that, too.

The 10K I really want to do is called The Crack of Dawn 10K. It starts up the mouth of Emigration Canyon and it starts at 6 a.m. And there is no parking at the starting line. You have to have someone drive you up there /really/ early to drop you off. We'd have to leave at least by 5 o'clock. Anyone want to carpool? Anyone have someone who could drop us off? :D

Even though it's so early and that will be a challenge, I bet the scenery is gorgeous as the sun is coming up, and the race is pretty much all downhill from what I gathered from the webpage. If I don't do that one, there are 3 different 10K's on Pioneer Day - one in Salt Lake, one in Provo, and one in Spanish Fork. The benefit to doing one of those is that I'll have an extra month-plus to train. But I'm going to do one of the 4 for sure.

Our neighborhood will surely do a fun, free 5K or two this year, and I'll participate in all of them that I can as well.

Wish me luck with my races this year!

P.S. I'm losing weight and I'm down from a 16/tight 14 to a comfortable 12, and a 10 in one brand. WooHoo!!! I'm going to finish a BFL 12-week challenge in one more week!! :D It's a good feeling.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Good job Jennifer! Nothing feels better than losing weight and slipping into some old skinny jeans. My next step is having to go buy new jeans because I'm wearing my old ones - woo hoo!