Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Indoor Triathlon, Anyone?

I've done a few 5Ks in the last couple years, but this year I decided I need to up it a notch. I'm thinking about going for a 10K.

So I searched around and found this site: Running in the USA - Utah Races It lists all the running races in Utah this year. As I was looking through, I noticed something that looked intriguing. There's an indoor triathlon that's based on time rather than distance. You swim for 10 minutes, transition for 10 minutes, bike for 30 minutes, transition for 5 minutes, and run for 20 minutes. Someone tracks your distance, and scores are based on distance rather than time.

I've been afraid to try a Triathlon because I can just see myself staggering along along for an hour after everyone else has toweled off and gone home. :D But this way, everyone ends at the same time. Hallelujah! LOL.

It's at a Lifetime Fitness location in South Valley and costs $40 for non-members. I'm seriously thinking about going for it. The info. on the race is at this site: Life Time Fitness

The one drawback - it's in 4 1/2 short weeks. Eek!

Since it's only a 20-minute run, I feel like I'm already ready for the running portion of the race. Right now, I'm at 2.1 miles in 20 minutes, and I'm sure I'll be doing even better by Mar. 21. I'd have to do some serious work on the swimming and biking part of the race, though. But it's all indoor. There's no hills, no weather to worry about, no nothin'. It's a little bit of a cheater's Triathlon, it's true. But it'd be a great way for me to get a little confidence in myself in the "running a Triathlon" arena.

Anyone wanna go for it with me????

Either way, I'm definitely going to go for a 5K or two, and I'm pretty sure I'll go for a 10K as well. I just haven't decided which ones to go for.

By the way, I've broken my records for both the 20-minute run and the 5K.
Today, 2.102 miles in 20 minutes. And on Saturday, I did a 5K in 30:08!! Next time, I'm determined to break 30! I'll keep you updated as I continue to break those records.

No comments: