Today, I set a goal to run just one mile. As fast as I could. I've been keeping track of how fast I can run a mile, within a larger race - 20 minutes, 5K, or whatever. But knowing I still have a ways to go keeps me from pushing myself as far as I could go, obviously.
So, I set a goal to break a 9-minute mile, because my best time so far is 9:17. I figured I'd have to run an average of 6.7 mph or higher to hit my goal. And instead of running intervals like my usual runs, I just ran, increasing my speed each minute, and at the end, every 1/10 of a mile. By the end, I was running 8 mph, which I've never before hit on that treadmill.
My official time: 8:41. Wooohooo!
It was pretty sweet. And one thing that helped me to really push myself was knowing that I was stopping at 1 mile. Not 10 minutes, but 1 mile. So the faster I ran, the sooner I could quit! :o)
On another note, my friend Ali caught me yesterday not eating clean. And I have to admit, I haven't been eating clean lately. Some days are worse than others, but I don't think I've had a /true/ clean day in a while. Time to kick it back up a notch or three.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment