Saturday, March 21, 2009

I'm a Triathlete!

I was sick from Sunday through Wednesday, so I was really glad yesterday when I felt 100% myself again. I don't think I did quite as well as I may have if I'd been training hard all this last week instead of laid out on the couch.

But, nonetheless, I completed the Tri and finished in good form by running farther in 20 minutes than I ever have before. Don't ask me how that's possible!

I think it's partly because I usually exercise in a fasted state and do intervals, whereas today, I ate a small bowl of oatmeal with a few raisins, some buckwheat, and about 1/2 Tb of blackstrap molasses sprinkled on top an hour before the race, and I mixed a protein recovery drink from the health-food store into my water for sipping throughout, while running at a very steady pace instead of going up and down.

Yes, that was an impressively long run-on-sentence. But I think it works. :)

Anyway, the swimming portion is definitely my weakness. I need to train a lot more in the water if I want to attempt to race in a real sprint-distance tri. I was able to swim freestyle at a pretty constant pace the whole 10 minutes. I probably could have done a little better, but I'm really pleased with how well I did do. I never had to stop and catch my breath or switch to backstroke or anything.

The bike was a little painful. It was done on bikes in their spin studio. They had the resistance on the bikes set too easy, which I would have thought would be a good thing, but when you're trying to go as fast as you can and your legs are getting jerked down by the pedals, it's annoying. Plus, I have a serious case of "biker's butt" now. :-P

As far as the run, it was sweet! I've only recently been able to break 2 miles in 20 minutes. My best distance ever so far has been 2.113. But today, after swimming and biking, I ran 2.2 miles in 20 minutes. I absolutely couldn't believe it. It probably has a lot to do with the energy I got from the food, but still.

All in all, I'm pretty proud of myself. :D

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Congrats! It feels awesome doesn't it?

Jenn Adams said...

Totally!!

I got my results back. It turns out I did 10 laps in 10 minutes, which put me squarely in 29th place out of 29 competitors on the swim. I biked 13.1 miles in 30 minutes (not to be confused with real miles - this was on a spin bike and it was a guess they made as to how far you would go with that many revolutions of the wheel) Anyway, I was in 19th place on the bike. And then, I ran 2.2 miles in 20 minutes and made it up to 18th place on that one. So, overall, I came in 24th.

Not too shabby, though, for just deciding a month ago I wanted to do it and not having swum laps in years before then. But if I want to do a sprint-distance tri, I really need to hit the pool. Big time.